Friday, July 5, 2024

Week 5 Posting - BSIT220-T301 - Network TAPs

When doing research for the written assignment, I ran into network TAPs. Still new in the IT game, I wanted to understand better what they were and how they are the alternative to port mirroring. I discovered many network TAPs, like Aggregation TAPs and regeneration TAPs. Still, the two most commonly used for network traffic monitoring are passive and active TAPs.

One major problem shared between the network TAPs and port mirroring is the packet drops that can occur when creating a copy of the data and sending it to the monitoring device. Different applications can help with packet loss, but it is still something inherent to these types of devices.

I would love to see one in action so I can see in person how they can actually assist in security because it's one thing to read about them and watch videos online. Still, seeing it firsthand and being shown how and what to look out for would make a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 10 Posting - Was Fun While It Lasted

 I love blogging because it gives me something extra to think about that isn't related to a specific topic of the week. I can write abou...