Sunday, April 21, 2024

Week 6 Posting - Defragmenting

 I have always used Disk Defragmenter on my PCs every month or so, and I knew that it would make my PC run faster, but I needed to understand how the process worked. Finding out that data is saved on a physical location on the hard drive was something I did not know until researching defragmentation. I used to think that the hard drive was like a pool, and the data was the water being poured into it. It didn't matter where the data was in the whole scheme. Data is stored in a single spot and stays in that exact physical location unless moved. So when you defragment, it is physically moving the data around so that it will spend less time in the future grabbing data from all around the hard drive. It makes sense now why scratched DVDs freeze in the exact location because the data is physically there for the particular scene. It sounds like something that should have been obvious from the start, but I am glad I know this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 10 Posting - Was Fun While It Lasted

 I love blogging because it gives me something extra to think about that isn't related to a specific topic of the week. I can write abou...