Sunday, May 5, 2024

Week 8 Posting - Ethernet Cables

     I have always been curious about learning the physical-layer specifications of an ethernet cable. When looking online to replace old ethernet cables, I always wondered what Cat3, Cat-5, RG-whatever actually meant. Having access to a list that explains in detail all the different available cable types, what they're made of, and their main purpose is exactly what I wanted to know for many years now. Not all cables transmit at the same speed either. I thought it was just their construction and length that differed, not the amount of data that could be transmitted. Some cables can do 100 Mbit/s, 1 Gbit/s, 2.5 and 5 Mbit/s, 10 Mbit/s, and the list just keeps going. Each cable has its application, and choosing what is best for your or your company's needs can save money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 10 Posting - Was Fun While It Lasted

 I love blogging because it gives me something extra to think about that isn't related to a specific topic of the week. I can write abou...